Quote

Every artist undresses his subject, whether human or still life. It is his business to find essences in surfaces, and what more attractive and challenging surface than the skin around a soul? ~Richard Corliss~

Friday, November 26, 2010

Interview with artist Carl Verster on his upcoming exhibition called "Songs on the Eve of Destruction"

“Songs on the Eve of Destruction” by artist Carl Verster at Essensual Art Gallery, Clarens. Opening 18th of December 2010 at 7pm.



When you first meet Carl, you sense that this is a shy and extremely reserved person, but once you gaze upon his paintings, you realise that he is a multi-dimensional artist, extremely individualistic and highly driven by the ebb and flow of emotions. Carl has been exhibiting his art at Essensual Art Gallery for the past year, and this will be his first solo exhibition. I asked Carl a few questions and this is what he had to say:


What inspired the exhibition theme and what does it mean to you?

I would rather not say too much about that and rather let the paintings do the 'talking', but this exhibition is my attempt at expressing an emotional state. The title refers, rather obliquely, to a number of interpretive eves as a collective. This was inspired by, and is about eve, and Eve generally; and specifically songs dealing with the core understanding of Eve, which is in essence "life". Really , for me this is a segment of life through my eyes. The subject matter, the tone, the expression is sometimes serious, as is life. I have painted what I sincerely felt, and yes often that reflects tragedy. The subjects may be on the dark side at times but they are soft, not hard, they are positive, not cynical and there is a hope that shines through.


You don't paint "pretty pictures", why?
Well, that's not entirely true. I hope that some of my paintings are pretty. But I also hope that even my pretty ones are more than just pretty. When you refer to "pretty pictures" I interpret that as being works that are purely aesthetic and have no 'soul'. In other words the art does not speak to you, it's simply pretty to look at. I hope that I never resort to doing that kind of work. Don't get me wrong, I believe that pretty pictures have their place in the art world. They do. But personally find it very intellectually and emotionally disengaging working on a canvas which says very little but just looks good. It's boring. Eventually eye-candy becomes dull. And I believe the sensitive viewer picks up on that. We all need a bit of a challenge.




Do you paint what you have experienced, or is it imaginative works?
Without trying to sit on the fence or hedge my bets in any way, both! My paintings are very often purely imaginative in content or subject matter and yet fully experienced in respect of what goes into them and what is trying to be carried through them. Yes, sometimes I will paint what I see and experience physically and through my senses, but I will always try and paint what I experience emotionally. Often I will hunt for subject matter based on what I am experiencing.




Where do you draw your inspiration from?
I could seriously fill a book on what inspires me. It's not always easy to pinpoint. Often I know exactly what prompted me, but from time to time it just happens. It whells up like water seeping from the ground, impossible to identify the root source. Those instances are I guess the result of a number of triggers, all coming together at once. So, what are these triggers? Well Almost every painting I produce stems from an inability to express intense emotion elsewhere; either not being permitted to, being denied the opportunity to or literally being unable to contain it. All it takes is one small trigger to release it in paint.


It's much easier to tell you what inspires in terms of those triggers that to tell you what actually drives me to create ... that emotional source. There is no mystery in what those triggers are. They are everyday things that everyone experiences, but music and memories play a particularly significant role in triggering work.


I must say I do find inspiration in the Old Masters, and you may see a little of that influence in my work here and there. I try not to be a slave to them though.



Do you believe that art can be therapeutic?

Absolutely! Both for the painter and the viewer! Painting for me is a sounding board in life, my therapist, and the intuitive viewer becomes an almost unintended voyeur to that counselling session. For me the after effect of that is a level of catharsism, at least until the need to do it all over again arises. I guess that makes me a serial painter?


You also write poetry - tell us more - does it coincide with any particular painting and do you feel a connection between painting and poetry?
I don't believe I am a particularly good writer, but I love writing almost as much as I love painting. To me both are forms of painting; one with a brush, the other with words. I truly see them as sister arts; two sides of the same coin. Sometimes my writing is closely linked to particular pieces, almost as subtitles to the visual message. Generally though I do not share that writing with others. It gives away too much, is too intimate and is selfish I think. I don't like imposing interpretations of pieces on people, and publishing accompanying poems or statements alongside the work does that.


Sonnet 24 by Shakespeare served as inspiration for his painting:


Mine eye hath play'd the painter and hath stell'd


Thy beauty's form in table of my heart;


My body is the frame wherein 'tis held,


And perspective it is the painter's art.


For through the painter must you see his skill,


To find where your true image pictured lies;


Which in my bosom's shop is hanging still,


That hath his windows glazed with thine eyes.


Now see what good turns eyes for eyes have done:


Mine eyes have drawn thy shape, and thine for me


Are windows to my breast, where-through the sun


Delights to peep, to gaze therein on thee;


Yet eyes this cunning want to grace their art;


They draw but what they see, know not the heart.


Please join us at Essensual Art Gallery for the opening of Carl’s exhibition. Experience Eve through his eyes and drink in the painted Songs of his art.



Blessings


Mercia Deale

PS: this interview will be published in the newly launced "InClarens" Magazine, Dec issue. On sale at selected outlets both in the Eastern Freestate and Gauteng

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mercia, you will be pleased to hear that two paintings for the exhibition have already been reserved, by two seperate buyers. :)

    ReplyDelete