Quote

Every artist undresses his subject, whether human or still life. It is his business to find essences in surfaces, and what more attractive and challenging surface than the skin around a soul? ~Richard Corliss~

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

You are what you eat - are you then what you paint?

Ok, so this is not really an arty farty post - no truthful insights into the mind of the emotionally disturbed, somewhat moody artist. Just a post to let you know the blog is still alive - JUST!

I had NO idea that detoxing the body can result in such pain! Normally, I am not a sissy, I just grin and bare whatever my body throws at me. But this time, my body has declared WAR! How can one's muscles ache and pain when you have not excercised? Headaches seem to be my constant companion and overall tiredness my true friend. Wondering why? I visited a homeopath recently and disturbing issues were raised. Not to bore you with my ailments, let's just say I had to seriously rethink my eating habits and what the food I'm stuffing my face with is causing. To get to the point of the post: I guess you really are what you eat!

Apparently, sugar is my worst enemy - not because it gives me the unwanted curves - but because I have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia (fancy word for low blood sugar) and a string of other things... I have been living with my body all my life (ok, at least I hope so - I can't remember if I bought tickets to astro travel) that I just accepted the way my body felt. Hearing a complete stranger tell you what exactly is wrong with your body and the associated symptons is really weird. You nod your head in acknowledgement, and think to yourself..."so that's the reason!" I must admit, hearing that low blood sugar and Hypoadrenalism (underactivity of the adrenal glands) is the cause of so many symptoms and "ailments" that I have suffered from, was a relief! I was NOT going crazy, the heart pulpetations was not because of the dreamy guy driving by, the sweating was not because I was entering my midlife crisis, the dizziness was not because I was passionately kissed and the tiredness was not because of the constant attention the kids demanded! Phew! What a relieve.

So, here I am, detoxing and wishing I had never gone to the homeopath in the first place! (Yes, feeling extremely sorry for myself!) But in all honesty, I will keep going because the promise of feeling better is much more alluring than the drained, tired and moody person I once felt.

But my mind left for a second, and I thought if you are what you eat, are you also then what you paint? I don't think I have the capacity to answer this one right now, so I will leave it up to you to give me some insight!

Here's to healty eating habits!
Cheers!
Mercia

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting question I suppose....
    “Are we what we paint?”

    In my mind there is a truckload of truth in that statement, yes a lot can be read in what goes into the artist’s canvas, their emotions, whether it’s good, bad, happy! Opening a window where art lovers are allowed to peek into their hearts and souls.

    Yes, you are indeed what you paint!

    To all artists out there, thanks for sharing your passion.........

    I have the following question in mind. Why can’t we all share our passion?

    Granted, we don’t all have the same passions, but still share the positive energy of what you love to do, do what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After much thought about this I think it is rather the opposite ... you paint what you are. Work is a symptom of the artist, not the maker of the painter. It reveals more about the artist than we would usually like known.

    As Oscar Wilde said "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." ... I think a canvas is that mask, art, the truth, and artists cannot but help but tell it. However, telling the truth from time to time does not necessarily make you a truthful person. :)

    ReplyDelete